Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Sun is Shining

singing at east side show room tues 1/19


photos by the lovely and talented Danielle Aldana: http://blurredperspectives.deviantart.com/

The Sun is Shining. The sky is blue. The clouds are white. And I love you.

Things are beginning to look up for me! When that happens, I get very nervous that something is going to go massively wrong (it usually does, in my case). To say I'm a pessimist a lot of the time (for entirely justified reasons- thank you very much, you blindly optimistic savages) would be an understatement. I'm so pessimistic when it comes to me and my life but with my friends and their lives, I try to play the optimist as much as possible. No one likes a Debbie Downer right?

I found a job! Yay! A temp agency found this one for me. Ok here's the crappy part, it's at the DPS and I only get paid $10.50/hr. Which is a lot less than the $15 I was getting at the law firm with the insane, creepy, sexual-harassing lawyer who I'm writing a book about and who I will thoroughly embarrass and teach a lesson in my own way (books are the best recourse, not lawsuits). Books last forever, and there is lasting damage. And this creeper deserves lasting damage.

But I digress... I have a job at the DPS, not the one where you get your DL photo done. I work in one of their many office buildings in the Crime Records Department. They deal with sex offenders, police officers, constables, etc. Haha I love how I put those all in one sentence. In general my feeling on law enforcement is: FTP. If you know what that means, then I'm down with you.

So, the positive side? I am soo thankful to have finally found a job. Even though it did take two long months of struggle and having to depend on my parents (which I absolutely ABHOR). Thank you parentals for carrying me yet again. Thank you for being there (in your own way). Thank you to my friends, new and old who have supported me and continue to do so. Thank you to friends I barely know who have come out of the woodwork to give me encouraging words and sit with me and tell me things will be all right. I love you and I am so grateful to you. Without your support, friends, family, randoms, I would be dead right now. Those of you who are close to me know this to be unequivocally true. I love you all.

Now I have to tell you about last night. I was invited to attend the Austonian opening by Stephen Moser- Austin Chronicle fashion columnist and we had a great time at The Phoenix first for a new modeling agency mixer. Then we went to the Austonian, and my has that building have an amazing view! There were all these "important" people there, who I couldn't tell were important because they were dressed so casual (isn't that how it always is?). The ex-mayor Will Wynn was there. Texas Monthly was there. I gave one of the photographers my card and told her I'm a journalist as well. I hope she calls me. Paparazzi was on hand to document Stephen's every move. It was like being a celebrity for a night. Or more like being a groupie for the night. Haha. But I was Stephen's +1. I felt very honored. So we all had a good time. The flowers were amazingly done by the Mandarin Flower Co. run by a family who does flowers for exclusive events. The daughters were lovely, Victoria and Sofia Avila, from Cuernavaca, Mexico.

The point of all this is, I had WAY too much fun last night! I actually had a few drinks, I think 4 or 5 (which I've stopped doing for about 2 months now). And I smoked a couple cigarettes. I always feel so guilty after I smoke. But I love holding it in my hand and it just feels glamorous. I know that's silly. And I danced a lot and went up and down stairs in 5 inch heels and all over downtown and now I'm definitely feeling it. I am so sore. I feel like I pulled my shoulder. I'm in a lot of pain. But I brought this on myself. Exacerbated the pain by trying to have fun. Argh. It's such a struggle. Stay home and be miserable, or go out and be miserable later. I had my icy hot patch on my back and had to wear a vest over my dress so no one would see the patch through it. I also ran out of painkillers and since I have no doctor or health insurance I have to go through community care again and the doctors suck. They won't treat me because I have a chronic issue, not an acute one. All the more reason why I need a PCP (primary care physician- not drugs!!) Argh. Well I'm just glad I got to have a good time last night. I think this updates everything over the past week.

Please comment. It only takes a second. I like to know who is reading. And I appreciate my readers and commenters.

<3 Grace

p.s. my friend Danielle came to my show at East Side Showroom- my first singing gig all by myself!! And she took photos, weathered the horrible service at the restaurant, and even brought me a gift bag filled with practical goodies. A care package to end all care packages. It was packed with ben-gay patches, icy-hot patches, lavender epsom salts, a huge, gorgeous sunflower candle, a lovely card, and a book with words of encouragement. What did I do to deserve this Lord? Thank you so much Danielle. You mean the world to me. <3

3 comments:

Pey-Jing Li Mehrinfar said...

I'm glad things are looking up for you with the new job at the DPS! I hope they offer a good health insurance plan for you, too. Don't worry about things going wrong when they're going right because then it's harder to enjoy the good times. I guess I'm not a pessimist so it's easier for me to say that, but really just enjoy it! You deserve it. And keep writing and sharing with the world your thoughts. We're enjoying it. I like that your posts are long enough to get invested in but not too long to become bogged down in reading. Will you be starting soon? Good luck on your new job!

Grace said...

Hi Pey! Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you're enjoying reading my posts. =) I already started yesterday. And since I'm temp-to-hire I get no benefits or insurance until I'm full-time. Which could take many moons. :/

chapman said...

Great! Good to hear that things are a bit better. We love you very much and stand with you. R,B & C